Do You? I do!

Scripture For The Day 

"Do You? I do!"  

August 22nd, 2022

Maybe it’s because we are getting ready to have our 38th wedding anniversary, but I have had marriage on my heart lately. I’d be lying if I said that it’s been perfect. We have had ups and downs. We have made good choices and bad choices. But I would marry this man all over again in a heartbeat. I prayed for him before I even met him. I Thank God every day for the Blessings of this man. He means more to me than anyone could ever know, despite his ornery self. We belong. We are quick to forgive and slow to anger.  With all my heart, I truly believe that God needs to be at the center of any relationship to experience what God put together in the first place.   

According to research, fifty percent of first marriages end in divorce. Apparently, there is a higher divorce rate among Christians than among non-Christians.  Baptists, according to the research have the highest divorce rate of any other denomination. That hurt my heart to read. Why? I can’t help but wonder. Maybe, it's because people are quick to jump into relationships? Perhaps, because so many people want to go by a feeling instead of truly, sincerely, seeking The LORD first?  Maybe, because the church needs to have a better understanding of what a husband-and-wife relationship is really supposed to be and we fail to teach the truth? I don’t know. Too many of those that say they are Christians don’t seem too concerned over the Truth of God’s Word. They rebel against it. They decide they know what’s best. One foot is securely standing in the world, while the other foot is rocking back and forth within the church. The Truth is something that no one seems to want to hear anymore and that is troubling.

God has tolerated many things that are outside of His Will. But there are always consequences for disobedience and sin and His desire is that we will truly experience and be Blessed with what He instituted. “Haven’t you read,” He “Jesus” replied that He which made them at the beginning made them male and female. And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and they twain shall be one flesh?” – Matthew 19:4-6 or Ephesians 5:31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh”

I know, sadly, it doesn’t always work out that way. Circumstances can be beyond our control at times. But like everything that matters, it begins with us. We need to examine our own hearts. We need to seek The LORD before making any decisions. I cringe every time I hear someone say that God has Blessed them while they choose to live in sin. God doesn’t bless sin. I know this from my own experiences. There are consequences for sin, at some time or another and sadly, that’s just another way of using God’s name in vain.   Marriage is a commitment. It is a covenant. And God’s Word compares marriage to the relationship of Jesus and the church. We are the Bride and He is our Bridegroom and when we enter that relationship, that covenant, we promise to live our lives for Him and through Him. We are to be pure and holy and faithful and loyal. Quick to forgive. Slow to anger. Honoring our bridegroom with how we live our lives.

Do you (your name) take Jesus, to be your lawfully, spiritually, wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to honor and obey, until death do you part and then on throughout eternity?

I do!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hide It Under a Bushel? NO!

He Restores My Soul

Aijeleth Shahar