Psalm 56

 Scripture For The Day 

May 17th, 2024 

"Psalm 56" - 

David wrote this Psalm at a time when he was captured by the Gath; refer to 1 Samuel 21:10-15. He felt alone and desperate. Further study shows that the lyrics were possibly set to a Jewish tune called "The Silent Dove in Distant Lands" or "A Dove on Distant Oaks". I was curious about this and so I went down a rabbit hole trying to find this Jewish melody. 

David was struggling in his spirit once again. This encourages my heart. David, the apple of God's eye, struggled in his spirit. and I gotta tell you, I struggle in my spirit from time to time. 

Be merciful to me, O God: David was in danger by not only Saul but the Philistines as well. He cried out to God. "Rescue me. Save me. Help me." He appealed to the Gracious Mercy of God. It wasn't about what he may have deserved but it was about a Loving Father. David was outnumbered. Psalm 56:3 was one of the verses that the kiddos and I memorized during our Covid isolation days through our Zoom SS class. And it still comes to my heart from time to time: 

"What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee" David knew in Whom he could trust. He had experienced God's Grace in many fearful situations. He knew what His Father was capable of. In the midst of his fear, David began to Praise God. "In God I have put my trust; I will NOT fear" While he was afraid, while he struggled, He Still Trusted God. 

"Every day they wrest my words: (They twist my words) Their thoughts are evil against me."He wasn't just dealing with physical attacks. But they were plotting against him with lies and any which way they could. 

"Thou tellest my wanderings: put Thou my tears into Thy bottle; are they not in Thy book?" God numbers are wanderings. He puts our tears in His bottle. That touches my heart. "This I know; for God is for me." If God is for us, who can be against us. "In God have I put my Trust: I will NOT be afraid what man can do to me." 

David knew that his life was in God's hands, and in God's Hands alone. Life is a Gift. "For Thou has delievered my soul from death: wilt not Thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living." David knew that and chose to live for God. 

Thank You, Father, for the Blessing of this day that You have given us. Help us to walk before You in the Light for others to see You. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hide It Under a Bushel? NO!

He Restores My Soul

Aijeleth Shahar